Plastic Free July is a movement challenging everyone to choose to refuse single use plastic during July. Whether you know it or not, you’ve already won at Plastic Free July! Congratulations.
How have you won? I’m sure you’ve already made lots of choices this month to avoid or refuse single use plastic. Eating at home? You’re skipping the plastic that comes with take out. Have a drink without a straw? Win! Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee? Win. Even just taking the time to read this article is a win, because you’ve thought a little more about single use plastic, which is the first step towards making some changes.
Plastic Free July aims to raise awareness of the problems with disposable plastic and challenges people to do something about it by refusing single use plastic. The plastic bottles, bags and takeaway boxes that we use for a few minutes are designed to last forever.
• break up, not break down becoming permanent pollution.
• are mostly downcycled (made into low grade product for just one more use) or sent to landfill.
• escape from bins, trucks, events, etc. to become accidental litter.
• end up in waterways and the ocean where scientists predict there will be more tons of plastic than tons of fish by 2050.
• transfer over into the food chain carrying pollutants with them.
• increase our eco-footprint. Plastic manufacturing consumes 6% of the world’s fossil fuels.
Every bit of plastic ever made still exists and in the first 10 years of this century the world economy produced more plastic than the entire 1900’s!
So, since you’ve already won, why not keep going? See if you can find more ways to avoid, or refuse, single use plastic in your life. You’ll be joining a million+ people world-wide from 130 countries in making a difference.
The Big Four of Single Use to Avoid:
Straws, plastic water bottles, plastic bags and to go cups! As Plaine Products works to make it easy to reuse, we like to add plastic shampoo, conditioner and body wash bottles to that list as well!
We’d love to know about your successes in avoiding single use plastic. Share your favorite win on social media and tag Plaine Products. To say thanks we’ll send you a coupon for 35% off our products. We’ll be including your wins in a blog post later this month. Who knows, by sharing you may also encourage others to try – another win!
Happy Plastic Free July!