Welcome back to our monthly series of easy recipes from our partner Lexi, a loyal Plaine Products customer and vegan home cook. This month, homemade vegan gravy!
In addition to helping eliminate single-use plastic from your routine with our premium quality bath and body products, we at Plaine Products love celebrating our community members. We’ve partnered with Lexi to share some of her vegan home-cooked recipes that are easy, quick, and delicious!
HOMEMADE VEGAN GRAVY
Can’t find vegan gravy at the grocery store? We’ve got you. @lexi.harpin is serving up a quick and easy recipe for homemade vegan gravy, perfect for topping onto your mashed potatoes.
• 2 tbsp vegan butter
• 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
• 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
• 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
• salt + pepper to taste
1.) To a pan on medium-high heat add the vegan butter. Once melted add the rosemary and cook for about 30 seconds. Next, sprinkle in the flour and whisk until a roux forms. Cook for about 2 minutes while whisking to cook off the raw flour taste.
2.) Slowly pour in the vegetable stock, about 1/2 cup at a time while whisking constantly to avoid any clumps. Then add the poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, black pepper, and soy sauce. Whisk to combine.
3.) Cook the gravy for about 5 minutes or until it slightly thickens. Keep in mind that as it cools it will continue to thicken! Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. I like to add salt at the very end since the vegetable stock + soy sauce add a lot of flavor. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
• Instead of buying cartons of vegetable stock, I always buy vegetable bouillon which I find to be much more flavorful. The best part about bouillon is you can make the exact amount of stock you need and the bouillon itself keeps for much longer compared to an opened carton of vegetable stock!
• You may use dried rosemary in this recipe if needed, I would use 1/2 – 1 tsp. of it since it is stronger when dried.
SHARE this with someone who loves mashed potatoes!
At Plaine Products, we’re committed to sustainability without sacrifice. That means creating premium quality bath and body products that check all the boxes for our customers while staying aligned with our values as a conscious company. Our products are made with non-toxic, vegan, cruelty-free, and biodegradable ingredients and are packaged in refillable, aluminum bottles. If you’re looking for the perfect bathroom routine that is good for your body, the planet, and animals, check out our products here.