This post was updated on August 22, 2023, to include more information.
What is Toner and How Do I Use It?
Facial toners help cleanse, moisturize, and even your skin tone. Toner removes traces of dirt, grime, and impurities stuck in your pores after you wash your face. As a part of your daily skincare routine, it can have a major positive impact on the appearance and tightness of your pores (hello, aging skin). Used daily, toner can also restore your skin’s pH level, refine rough patches and improve skin tone. That’s a lot in a little bottle!
As for application, you can use toner with a spray pump or without. Either way, you’ll want to soak a reusable cotton round with the toner and gently sweep it across your skin after cleansing morning and night. This should be your second step so it preps the skin to absorb your facial moisturizer.
Skin toner has evolved over the last 20 years. Previous toners may have contained harsh, astringent ingredients that cleansed but did not provide any moisture benefits. It’s one of the reasons there’s no alcohol in our toner although it has been a traditional ingredient in other brands.
What’s in it?
Our Face Toner’s unique formula is full of ingredients to help bring moisture back to your skin, calm skin irritations, reduce redness, and shrink pores naturally. Here are 3 key ingredients you can find in our Face Toner:
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice cleanses the skin by stripping off oil and residue, while also hydrating and soothing your skin.
- Rosa Canina (Rosehip) Flower Extract is high in omega fatty acids, and anti-aging antioxidants including Vitamin E and Vitamin A. The Vitamin A helps encourage skin cell turnover, leaving you with glowing skin.
- Sea Salt is a natural antiseptic that helps clear your skin of acne-causing bacteria and provides gentle exfoliation.
- Aniba Rosaedora (Rosewood) Oil is a powerful tissue regenerator, it softens, embellishes, firms up the skin, and works to remove stretch marks, wrinkles, eczema, acne, and other skin disorders.
Different Uses for Face Toner
Here are a few different ways we’re currently using our face toner:
1. Cleanse: Toner is typically used after a face wash to remove any impurities, residual blackheads, or skin grime missed by your everyday cleanser. We also use it for a quick cleanse mid-day or after work to refresh you and your skin. It’s a water-free option so you can take toner to work or out on the town!
2. Reduce pores & Balance skin pH size: Used post-face wash, toner may help tighten skin and minimize the appearance of pores. Washing your face can disrupt the pH of the skin because cleansers tend to be overly alkaline. Using toner right after face washing can restore the skin’s pH balance, thanks to the slightly acidic formulation in most facial toners.
3. Body Spray: Our Toner comes with the option of a spray pump so it can also be used as a body spray for a post work pick me up, or mornings when you skip the shower.
4. Even skin tone: For those with skin that has red areas or uneven texture, a toner may help reduce the appearance of uneven skin tone. An exfoliating toner may work for those with bumpy skin; people with red patches should consider a toner for sensitive skin.
5. Moisturize: Our face toner’s aloe and rosewood oil ingredients give your skin a moisturizing boost after cleansing if you prefer not to have to moisturize twice a day.
How do you use face toner? We’d love to hear your ideas!