We reflected last week on all that we did in 2019. Now we look forward towards our 2020 goals. At Plaine Products we’re striving to be a part of the larger sustainable development movement that’s happening around the world. Since our inception we’ve always placed a huge priority on sustainability. But as we grow, we are committed to taking even more steps towards less fossil fuels, less waste, fewer toxins and consuming fewer resources. We are excited to continue eliminating single-use plastics while doing our part to tackle climate change and protect our oceans and forests.
Being more sustainable and tackling climate change requires a variety of solutions. There are individual efforts to be made, as well as systemic changes on a global scale needed. We can not make significant change on our own, but when we join together, change will happen.
In reviewing our own 2020 sustainability goals we find that they directly contribute to 5 of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals.* By presenting our internal goals to you now, within the framework of the UN SDGs, we hope to reaffirm the message that we are all in this together. And we can all be part of the solution.
UN Sustainable Development GOAL 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns by substantially reducing waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse.
Plaine Products is working towards this goal in several ways:
- Switching over from black pumps to white pumps. Black plastic is problematic for two main reasons, as we explain in our recent post on the issue. It has been found black plastic is rarely recycled as sensors have trouble picking out black plastic during the sorting process. Because it can’t get recycled, new black plastic needs to be created from other sources to meet consumer demand. Many of these products end up being made from the plastic parts of electronic and electrical equipment waste (e-waste). The problem is that electronics typically contain toxic substances like the flame retardant bromine; antimony; and heavy metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury. Recycling plastic from e-waste is now introducing harmful chemicals into our consumer products. This is more concerning for cooking implements and toys, but we’re moving away from black plastic regardless.
- Investigate new backing for labels. Currently one of the few items in our warehouse trashcan is the backs of return labels. We’ve found a new source with compostable label backing and will be transitioning over in 2020.
- Further reduce waste by printing on the box lid. Plaine Products tries to reuse in every portion of our business. This also extends to our boxes. We’re working on new boxes that will eliminate the need for cards inside to explain our bottle reuse process. The new information will also hopefully help with box opening and closing so less damage occurs to the box and a higher percentage will be available for reuse.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
Plaine Products is working towards fostering climate resilience and low greenhouse gas emissions development by:
- Diverting more than 250k total bottles by the end of 2020. Since we began we have diverted over 120,000 plastic bottles from landfills. We are working to make it 250k total bottles by the end of 2020!
- Purchasing bottles made from recycled aluminum. As we grow we are able to make more demands on our suppliers. One goal is to have our bottles made from recycled aluminum. We’re not larger enough yet, but with your support, we will get there.
- Providing carbon neutral shipping. We are investigating partners to incorporate a carbon-neutral shipping option as a part of our checkout process on our website.
- Offering 3 new bathroom products in 2020 and even more options beyond the bathroom. More Plaine Products means more opportunities to replace plastic bottles in the world. We’re committed to continuing to expand our offerings while maintaining our high standard of safe, non-toxic, vegan, cruelty-free ingredients.
- Adding a bulk refill option to our line of products. You’ve been asking for it, so we’re looking into it.
Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development. Prevent and significantly reduce marine pollution of all kinds. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
Plaine Products is working towards these goals in several ways:
- Plaine Products started because we were inspired to combat the problem of plastic pollution in the ocean. Our work to eliminate single-use plastic and reuse of bottles and pumps not only helps reduce greenhouse gases, it also helps reduce pollution and waste that often end up on land and in the ocean.
- By reusing boxes, limiting the amount of fill required in our boxes for safe shipping and moving towards printing on the boxes, Plaine Products helps prevent deforestation. We also consciously choose boxes and fill paper made from recycled paper.
- Maintain the biodegradability of our products. Our personal care formulas are designed to biodegrade safely. This means that as they wash down the shower or sink they break down into safe ingredients without causing harm to the environment.
Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Plaine Products is working towards this goal in several ways:
- A commitment to partnering with like-minded companies to source our products and packaging.
- Proudly supporting nonprofits that are aligned with our mission. We do this through our Plaine Promoters program and donations to organizations that are members of 1% for the Planet.
- Donating products to support expeditions, research, and plastic awareness projects.
Our Plaine Products 2020 goals towards sustainable development address pressing global issues, and require urgent action from us and our customers. We are committed to achieving these goals and inspiring individuals and businesses to become a more sustainable society. Please let us know how we are doing and share your ideas for building a better world of people and our planet.