Earth Day is celebrated around the world by more than 1 billion people in 192 countries. Each year, on April 22nd, individuals, governments and corporations demonstrate a commitment to protecting our Earth and the life it sustains. There are cleanup events, marches, tree plantings, petition signings, etc. Many people spend time outside to appreciate the beauty of our planet.
In 2018, the Earth Day theme was to “End Plastic Pollution.” Right up our alley! Awareness around the plastics problem has grown tremendously and there is a global effort to eliminating single-use plastics.
This year, the Earth Day theme for 2019 is “Protect our Species”. Human activity is a direct cause of the rapid rate of extinction of millions of species. We must work together to protect endangered and threatened species such as bees, coral reefs, elephants, giraffes, insects, whales and more. The diversity of life on this planet depends on it.
How will you celebrate Earth Day this year? We’ve got 5 ideas to get you started. Let us know which ones you’ll be using to honor our Earth!
5 ideas to Celebrate Earth Day:
- Sign and share the petition encouraging governments around the globe to make Earth Day a national holiday. Driven by the belief that a love of our planet comes from exploring and connecting, this petition takes the stand that Earth Day should be recognized as a national holiday everywhere. Giving everyone time to get outside and explore our planet.
- Make a switch. There’s lots of options: from plastic wrap to beeswax wraps, disposable coffee cups to a reusable coffee mugs, plastic shampoo bottles to refillable, aluminum shampoo bottles, or plastic laundry pods to Plastic-Free, zero-waste, laundry detergent. Pick something in your life that’s plastic and swap it out for a sustainable, earth-friendly option. You can be as ambitious as you like, or start simple. Every choice matters and it all means a little less plastic in the world.
- Volunteer. Join one of the cleanups happening around the US. Volunteer at the nearest animal shelter. Earth Day is a day of service to our planet.
- Plant a bee-friendly garden. Bee populations are on the decline and we need bees to pollinate our food sources. You can plant wildflowers to encourage pollinators like bees and butterflies to visit your yard.
- Support an environmental nonprofit. There are lots of amazing ones out there, from the large ones like World Wildlife Fund, Sierra Club, and Environmental Defense Fund, to small ones in your backyard. They are working hard to get kids out in the environment, educating people about this amazing planet we live on, and protecting it. Pick one and make a donation!
- Bonus idea! Treat yourself. Many eco-minded companies are having Earth Day sales, including us! With 20% off, now is a great time to show your love to the planet and eliminate single-use plastics in your bathroom!
Start protecting our environment today with earth-friendly acts and sustainable choices. You can find even more ideas to celebrate Earth Day here. We’d love to know how you’re celebrating Earth Day! If you post pictures tag us so we can share and inspire others!